After Tuesday’s 5-Minute Herbed Vegan Ricotta, some of you may have guessed this vegan pizza recipe was coming. It is hands down my favourite vegan pizza recipe of all-time, and I am so excited to share it today.
What is pizza, if not something that brings all humans together? I have yet to meet a person who doesn’t like it. I mean, what’s not to like? Dough, sauce, cheese, and salty toppings. Pizza is The Beatles of the food world.
For the dough, I use a recipe from the one-and-only Gennaro Contaldo. For those of you who aren’t familiar with Gennaro, skip right to this video in which he makes a classic margherita pizza. His infectious enthusiasm and childlike giddy for food makes him one of my favourite humans ever. If you’re having a bad day, watching this video will instantly make you happier.
This vegan pizza is loaded with sautéed mushrooms and onions, olives, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes, spinach, and fresh basil. You can, of course, swap out any toppings for whichever ones you prefer.
Make sure to dust some flour on your hands when stretching the dough, so it does not stick to your fingers. As well, generously dust the baking pan with semolina.
This pizza is best consumed immediately, though I don’t foresee that being an issue. If you miraculously end up with some leftovers, store them in a sealed glass Tupperware in the fridge. To reheat, place in the oven or a toaster oven at 350°F (177°C) for 6-10 minutes, or until crispy on the bottom and heated throughout.
Oh man, are you guys ready to make the most delicioso vegan pizza of your life??
Ya you are. Let’s do this.
My Favourite Vegan Pizza
This vegan pizza has got it all: crispy crust, garlicky tomato sauce, olives, sundried tomatoes, spinach, basil, artichokes, mushrooms, onions, and finished with mounds of vegan ricotta!
For the dough:
For the sauce:
- 800 ml can fire roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano rubbed
- 6 cloves garlic minced
For the Cheese:
For the toppings:
- 1 large onion sliced
- 12 cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2-3 tbsp grapeseed oil
- handful black olives sliced
- 1-2 tbsp sundried tomatoes minced
- handful artichoke hearts sliced
- handful baby spinach
- handful fresh basil leaves
- semolina for dusting pizza pan
- flour for dusting hands
- olive oil for drizzling on pizza
- Prepare the pizza dough according to Gennaro’s recipe, taking note that pizza dough takes at least 2 HOURS to proof.
While the dough proofs, heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons of grape seed oil, and the sliced mushrooms and onions.
- Stir to coat evenly, add a healthy pinch of salt, and cook for 7-10 minutes, or until the mushrooms and onions are soft all the way through.
- Remove from the pan and allow to cool on a plate. Once cooled, cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Next, open the crushed tomatoes and empty them into a mixing bowl. Add the oregano and minced garlic, and stir to combine. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once the dough has proofed for at least two hours, preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Sprinkle some semolina on a pizza tray.
- Dust your hands with flour, and grab one portion of dough. Follow Gennaro’s technique to stretch the dough, then lay it on the baking pan.
- Dollop a few large spoonfuls of sauce onto the dough, and spread it around.
Next add the baby spinach, basil, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and a handful of the sautéed mushrooms and onions. Dollop as many spoonfuls of ricotta as you like, and finish with a drizzle of olive oil.
Bake the pizza near the bottom of the oven for 8-12 minutes - shorter for a softer crust, longer for crispier.
Remove and allow to cool for a few minutes on the pan before transferring to a cutting board. Drizzle with more olive oil, cut into slices, put your stretchy pants on, and eat!
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge.
Because the pizza size and topping amounts will vary greatly, nutritional information for this recipe is not available. For a full explanation of nutritional analysis, please read our Disclaimer.
If you made this recipe, I would be so honoured if you could rate it, share it, and leave a comment. Also, don’t forget to take a photo, tag @thedeliciousmanifest on Instagram, and hashtag it #thedeliciousmanifest. Thank you so much!
Looking for more delicious dinner ideas? Check out my Rich & Creamy Mushroom Soup, Freezer-Friendly Vegan Fried Rice, and Mushroom & Onion Pierogies. All are guaranteed to get everyone to the table in a hurry!!